Old Town

From 98 AD, Ladenburg was the Roman town LOPODUNUM with a forum, market basilica, market square, theatre and town wall.

The closed townscape originates from the middle ages, early and high medieval town fortifications with

 

Martin`s Gate and Witche`s Tower

built around 1250, Prison Tower, traces of battles from the besiegement by Mansfeld on May 6th, 1622.

 

 

Protestant Town Church

Protestant Town Church (1876 - 1878)

Episcopal Chapel Royal St. Sebastain

Porch built in 1474 under Bishop Reinhard of Sickingen, inside frescoes dating from the 15th century and baroque furnishings (1737), Excavation of Roman remains (viewing only possible as part of town tour).

Bischofshof (today Lobdengau Museum)

Built on the site of the early Roman temple district, in the 6th century a franconian King`s court, in the 7th century donated to the Bishop of Worms.

Excavations in the area of the Bischofshofes

Ruins dating from the Roman period and remains of the medieval "Pfaffenturm" (Pfaffen Tower)

Roman Forum

In the Metzgergasse, ruins dating from the Roman period and remains of the medieval "Pfaffenturm". ( Visit inside only possible as part of a town tour.)

St. Gallus Church

with romantic crypt and Roman basilica

Handschuhsheimer Hof

In the Rheingaustraße, built 1475; converted 1561 - 1569. Coats of arms of those from Handschuhsheim, Hirschhorn and Fleckenstein.

Neunhellerhaus

Ground floor dates from the 14th century, extended in 1541

 

 

Living quarters and first garage of the inventor of the automobile Dr. Carl Benz.

Living quarters and first garage of the inventor of the automobile Dr. Carl Benz

 

Town tours, guided tours and further information can be obtained at:

Town information Ladenburg, Tel.: 06203-922603